Skip to content

Gaijin Entertainment has Served Me with a UDRP Complaint

In May of this year I was served a cease and desist letter from a company named Gaijin Entertainment. They demanded that I turn over this domain, gaijin.com, which I had registered in 1995, to them, a company founded in 2002, based on a claim of “trademark infringement.”

Obviously, I was not going to do that. I have never operated a game development business through this domain or name. Even if I had, there exists seven years of prior art in my name. My attorney, Mike Godwin, sent them a letter stating that I was not going to entertain the idea and that they should retract their claim.

There were no further comments from Gaijin Entertainment and I thought that was the end of it.

On Friday, October 4th, Mike Godwin and I were notified that Gaijin Entertainment had filed a Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution (UDRP) claim to the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). In it they claim that I am doing damage to their trademark and seek to have the domain name stripped from me and awarded to them due to trademark violation.

I have the word “courage” tattooed on my arm. I am not going to let this happen without a fight.

Paul Alan Levy of Public Citizen has agreed to represent me regarding this issue. He has asked opposing counsel to withdraw the UDRP claim.

If they do not, we will seek a declaratory judgment of non-infringement in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, taking the fight to them rather than waiting around.

Among the complaints are some interesting bullet points.

• My domain name, registered on May 22, 1995, “fully incorporates” the “Gaijin” wordmark, which was not registered until October 11, 2011.
  • One of the most prominent tags within my blog is “Games” and this apparently confuses people.
  • I am apparently not using the word “gaijin” correctly (note that Gaijin Entertainment is not, either, so I’m unsure why this would be a thing). For sake of explanation, I chose the word “gaijin”, meaning “foreigner” or “alien” because at the time I was studying philosophical principles regarding identity and definition – specifically about how things are defined through contrast and opposition, and therefore my own identity, from my perspective, was always and forever going to be “alien” to me (since I cannot see myself except as in opposition).
  • Certain blog posts of mine have bad words in them and apparently tarnish other people’s reputations.
  • My email address apparently confuses people into thinking I am an employee of their company.
  • I am apparently attempting to extort $750,000.00 dollars from them. This comes from a throw-away email exchange I apparently had with one of their employees. I have never had any intention to sell the domain but if someone seriously offered me a million dollars I’d be negligent in not considering the offer. I get offers at least once a month and always for some paltry sum (like $100 dollars). Telling people to throw out a “big number” usually ends the conversations quickly.
  • The fact that I show up after them in Google searches means that I am somehow diverting traffic from them.

Below is a pdf of the complaint.

Gaijin_WIPO UDRP Complaint_AS_v10 4 2013

Posted in Life, Topical, Whatever. Tagged with .

29 Responses

1. Kat says

That complaint is… well, I’d like to say unbelievable; it isn’t but it *should* be. Best of luck in delivering justice–or at least in getting them to leave you (and your domain) the hell alone.

2. Di says

Fck them, I hope you will save your domain.

3. Stupid Snail says

In America, the law is how much you can afford it to be the law. Good luck!

4. Petr says

they are hysterical anticonsumer HODOR
    since you was before them – go and overtake their domain for teh great justice

5. UDRP POLICE says

This is clearly a case of Reverse Domain Name High-jacking as how could the Respondent have been aware of the Complainant’s then non-existent right? Without any evidence to suggest that the Respondent should have been aware of the Complainant’s rights prior to the date of the trademark registration it is almost impossible to assert that the domain name was registered in bad faith, a fundamental requirement of any UDRP complaint. The Complainant’s counsel should know this and therefore this is an abuse of the UDRP policy.

6. JC says

Best of luck!

7. Dan T. says

It should be a slam-dunk win for you, despite the general pro-trademark, anti-domain-owner stance of UDRP panels, since my reading of earlier UDRP decisions shows that complainants can almost never prevail over facts that include the registration and use of a domain by its current owner prior to the existence of the company it’s allegedly infringing against. You’ll probably win a “Reverse Domain Hijacking” decision, which don’t happen very often.

8. Badri says

You fight those bastards with everything you got! I have always liked them as a company but this is just ridiculous. At the VERY least they should offer you a decent sum(hell they can miss it) for the domain. Going on your article they never did, and just started right off trying to pry the domain from your hands without giving fuckall in return.

I dont foresee them winning the litigation, but if they come close im pretty sure they can expect a plethora of ddos attacks.

9. Brad Patrick says

Crush them like a grape. With Mike and Paul advising you, victory will be sweet indeed.

10. Raidur says

Interesting how I, an avid gamer, have never heard of the complaintant until just now. Admittedly, I’d never heard of your website either.
    I still find this lawsuit laughably stupid though.

11. Amaya says

Good for you for standing up for yourself. Good luck!

12. Dogs > cats > Jonny says

Haha, love you m8! Gaijin is robbing and screwing us paying customers over in “war thunder”, the best flying game i know driven by one of the worst companies :p
    Don’t give this away for a penny less than a million $ !! Love from Sweden :D

13. mack says

Hey m8, I think you will have more readers from both Warthunder and World of tanks gamers since the topic is showin up on their forums. Anyway, it puzzles me that the law gone this strange path that you have to prove others that you are not idiot – i don’t know if this phrase translate exactly in english but its common phrase in polish. Greetings form Poland and keep a good fight.

14. Pedro says

Hey dude, I was reading your stuff.
    Check the following link:

This same case happened already when Prince Sports tried to bully the owner of Prince.com for getting it for FREE. Check it out and you may use Prince’s case to win over your domain!

15. Anthony says

I am a customer of Gaijin Entertainment, but i find their behavior to be less than honorable …..

I sincerely hope that you do not end up in a bad situation because of corporate (Gaijin Entertainment’s) greed.

Greetings from france and best of luck to you if you face them in court.

16. taco says

Well, I’ll never be doing business with Gaijin Entertainment ever again… I find it irresponsible to continue supporting a greedy Russian FTP developer when they attack a fellow country men… Good job standing strong! Much respect.

17. Steven says

Hello, I’ve actually come here searching for the game, but after reading this post, I feel bad for you. I’ve tried to post on their forums regarding your plight, but my topic got removed. They (a Russian company) are wrong to wrongly take away this wonderful website.

18. Dave says

Don’t worry, they’ll be bankrupt soon. They’ve isolated virtually the entire player-base of War Thunder.

19. Eric Bigl says

Oh dear. GO on and show them sons of b***** how the law protects the good people. DONT TRUST GAIJIN ENTERTAINMENT !!! They are russian motherf***** that think they can do whatever they want to! With last patch they increased prices about 800% to get as much money as possible… they are dickheads. I was a player of their game the promise stuff and then the cheat and lie behind your back and fuck you over! DO NOT TRUST THEM !!!! I srly hope they be bankrupt soon!
    But srly no judge with any brain would them allow to do so! So they will walk away with a loss! Pls keep us infromaed about this ! Im goin ingame warthunder now and spam the ingamehchat with a link to his site :-) HAHAHA

20. domain guy says

ICAAN recently allowed the creation of .PW domain names for this reason. Anyone can claim copyright ownership of a .PW but not a .com so don’t worry too much about this company’s disgraceful scare tactics. They can always change their own name and I’d send them a cease and disist sending cease and disist letter or a photocopy of your middle finger.

21. WT player says

Don’t even worry about it, they’re just russians acting russian.

• TTa says

i’d say you to stop being racist, but living here – it is more right to not consider myself as one. ever

• Dogs>cats>Jonny says

That is not a “racist” thing to say -_-
        He was talking about one of the stereotype of a russki, not a word for or against any race.

• tta says

yeah? and stereotype goes: “jews eat children”
          so this totally not racism?
          stereotypes are one of the form of racism

• Dogs>cats>Jonny says

Umm… I seriously don’t know where you get YOUR stereotypes from, but please, do NOT, I repeat; do NOT go to a stand up comedy show, you will be offended as hell. Please don’t try to be all that PC, that is just hypocrisy at it’s finest.

• tta says

are you WASP?

Continuing the Discussion

1. War Thunder - Page 139 linked to this post on December 28, 2013

[…] Gaijin Entertainment has Served Me with a UDRP Complaint – gaijin.com bahahaha. Reply With Quote […]

2. Gaijin Entertainment reaches new lows | To Game For Life linked to this post on January 7, 2014

[…] without merit and full of ridiculous inconsistencies, have escalated the war for Gaijin. com. ¬† ¬†They now attempt to get the WIPO to turn the domain over to them […]

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.