For my birthday last month, my parents sent me packages containing:
* A super-nice, high quality chef’s knife
* Not one but two cast iron pans. These pans had been used by my now-dead great-grandmother, who got them from her mom. So they date to at least 1900. At least.
For Christmas, my parents got me:
* Two expensive, high-quality kitchen knives (a paring knife and a serrated utility knife)
* Three bottles of various flavors of Tabasco sauce (wrapped in paper, even).
* A bottle of hot mustard sauce that is local to where I grew up (also wrapped in paper).
I have absolutely no idea where we’re going with this. It’s the bottles of Tabasco that throw me.